Randy Dean's Timely Tips

You may have read Timely Tips on Randy Dean's web site, but now you can interact with it here on Blogspot.com. Please feel free to add comments and tips of your own, and thank you for your continued interest.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Timely Tips© Volume 3, Issue 12; December 2006: Call Your E-mails (Part 2)

I know – it was only a week or so ago that you received the last Timely Tips, and I usually get these out later in the month. But I’m practicing my own time management principles here, and trying to get out in front of a few things - for a good reason! As many of you know, my wife and I are expecting our second child later this month (please wish us luck for a safe and uneventful delivery!) And of course, when a new life joins your family, you really can’t expect to get much work done (nor should you!) Plus, the holidays are coming up – I plan to take some time for my family and friends and just enjoy myself. I hope you all do the same! (Speaking of the holidays – keep reading past the Timely Tips for a special holiday “Thank You” gift for all of you – my Timely Tips readers!)

I’m basically trying to follow my own principles by frontloading my projects and tasks wherever possible, and one thing I can push up is my monthly Timely Tip – so here it is:

Last month, I gave you the tip to consider calling people rather than e-mailing them if the material is confusing, easily misunderstood, or possibly contentious. Many of you responded that this was a great common sense tip, and have started not only using it, but have started training others in your office to do the same. This month’s is of a similar “common sense” nature. It is specifically designed for PDA/smart phone users that can get their e-mail on their mobile device. And here’s the tip:

If you receive an e-mail on your PDA/smart phone device, and the required response is fairly simple and straightforward, rather than replying or forwarding the e-mail using your device, consider calling the sender/receiver with your response. Here’s why: typing information into PDAs and smart phones is typically slow and inefficient for most users. For most people, it is nowhere near as quick as you can type on a regular full-size keyboard, and that is nowhere near as quick as you can talk! If the response is quick and clear, and you are on the road/mobile, just call the person and give them the response/info they need.

And if you are really smart (and really busy!), call with your e-mail response at a time when your receiver might not be at their phone – then you can just leave a quick message in their voice mail, and not risk a drawn-out conversation. That’s why I often call people at 7:30 a.m. (before people get in their office), at lunchtime (when they are away from their desk), and after 6:00 p.m. (when they are on the way home – hey, isn’t this another Timely Tip in and of itself??). This strategy of calling my e- mails and catching people’s voice mails allows me to be VERY efficient –- avoiding the slow typing of my PDA device, and also avoiding unnecessary conversation. (By the way, I do encourage you to also occasionally call when there is a GOOD chance people WILL be at their desks. Sometimes a live conversation with a friend/colleague/coworker is a beautiful thing!)

One final little tip: I noticed that when I read e- mails in my Blackberry, if the person sending the e- mail has a phone number in the text of the message or in their e-mail signature, my Blackberry will automatically highlight that number, and then I have the option to just click my “thumbwheel” and make the phone call directly from the e-mail. You should check to see if your PDA/smart phone device has the same capability. This can also save you a few seconds of time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home